Pages

Thursday 28 April 2011

The Levellers - Zeitgeist

16 already!!













The Levellers - Zeitgeist
The Levellers fourth album, and follow up to the disappointing 'Levellers', was a spralling 13 track angst folk classic.
Opening with the lottery sneering single 'Hope Street' the song showed a departure from the usual thumping fiddle-led sound, and instead with a slide guitar and loose hi-hats.
'The Fear' saw the Brighton band tread on more familar ground with throbbing bass lines and wirling fiddles. Whenever the pace quickens throughout a Levellers' song, their punk influences are more easily seen (The Clash / Crass). This particularly comes across on The Fear, the way Mark Chadwick and Simon Friend trade chords -  it's as if they were Strummer And Jones.
Next up is 'Exodus' a tribute to the New Age rave scene, that brought collectives like Back To The Planet and Spiral Tribe Soundsystem to the fore. The song has a big sing-a-long chorus as well as some experimental touches. However they do not lose sight of their own sound which makes you want to dance in bare feet under the stars near ancient landmarks.
A tender acoustic guitar and what sounds like a Wurlitzer organ open 'Maid Of The River', a beautifully touching ballad that has an almost historical feel.
I think just as tradional folk fans were beginning to get to grips with the disc, they, The Levellers, knock them into submission with a couple of out and out rockers!!
Firstly '4 AM', a song whos lyrical content I believe most of us can relate to; The story of staying up with friends and strangers, drinking smoking and putting the world to rights.
The other rocker of this album is 'Leave This Town', on this track Jon Sevink's fiddle playing is surpassingly good. Class!
The second single 'Fantasy' is the perfect song to play to anyone who hasn't ever heard a Levellers track, nice structure understated playing with all the pieces there in the right place.
The third and final song released as a single was a re-recorded version of 'Just The One' which was extended from the minute and a half version on the album. An ok track but it does feature a hero of mine - the one and only Joe Strummer on piano.
As we near the end of the album, the Levellers tucked away the most experminental track 'PC Keen'. This is a dark and disturbing composition compared with the lightness of the majority of the record. A superfluous social commentary.
The last song on the disc takes us back to the 'Levelling The Land' days, Men-An-Tol is the lost cousin of 'Sell Out'. An atmospheric pagan tale of belonging. Quite a wonder!!
Live Version Of Men-An-Tol
In all With 'Zeitgeist' The Levellers proved once again that they were still angry and very expressive with their charged views, despite their previous success.
A really great album that I was excited to re-visit.

Why I ♥ This Album

Note! Some names may have been changed to protect my innocence!
I still remember the first time we laughed together, we were sat in the smoking area at the local department store where we both worked. Someone had loaned a few women's lifestyle magazines to the smokers and had unwittingly filled out one of those relationship quizzes that you find in those types of magazines. As we were sat there I had tears rolling down my cheeks, my sides ached as we disected all the answers that had been marked.....
I made a mental note to myself that not only was she beautiful she also made me roar with laughter. I wanted to know this girl a little bit more, but would she be willing to get to know this long haired lad from the Delivery Department - after all she was Management!
I made a few enquires about her relationship status and found out that she had recently made herself available after a long term relationship. I expect I punched the air at that moment.
I, myself, was between girlfiends at the time. My intended had gone away for a while and another, who I liked as well, was a little complicated (yay didn't use names afterall).
It took a lot of courage for me to approach this unseemingly out of reach beauty about maybe going for a drink (I am really quite shy, honest). However, in the end I suggested was maybe a picinic in the local park one lunchtime.
I was agast when this stunning woman agreed and a date was set. As all great arranged things, it didn't quite go to plan.. .... we ended up having a meal at our mutual friend Lynwyn's house one evening instead, due to bad weather.
So there we were the three of us!! After good food, laughter and Zeitgeist playing in the background it was time to make my move.
But does she really like me? Or should I go for Lynwyn instead who, afterall, was a known safe bet? I didn't fancy being rejected. My brain was all a buzz...what to do?
The end ................ or was it?????????????
Oh come on! A gentleman never tells. But here's a clue to what happened -  that beautiful woman is now my wife. The Levellers rock!


My Beautiful Wife


No comments:

Post a Comment