Pages

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Alice In Chains - Dirt

We've reached no.10 in the journey













Alice In Chains - Dirt
Alice In Chains in my opinion were the best band that came out of the 'Grunge' scene, and Dirt was my favourite album of theirs.
AIC were unashamedly from a metal background, unlike many of their contemporarys from that scene who were influenced by Punk. On Dirt they come across like a modern version of Sabbath but were brutal, fierce and truthful throughout the album. Vocalist Layne Staley laid himself bare of the horrors of heroin addiction through many of the lyrics on the disc. This all could have sounded self obsessed and tedious without the great musicianship of the remainder of the band; especially from Jerry Cantrell with his attacking and flowing riffs and harmonised co-vocals. The rhythm section were no slouches either and were immense on all the songs.
One of my favourite songs of all time features on this album. It is the last track 'Would?'a song about the late Andrew Wood vocalist of Mother Love Bone.
It is a touching tribute and a song that features AIC at their best. Showing their individual styles but also being at one as a band. When I first heard this song in 1992 on MTV's Headbangers Ball I was just mesmerised and drawn in by the hypnotic bass, drums and harmonised vocals.
Official Video Of Would?
I began to count down the months until the album release.
'Rooster' is another highlight on the album, the acoustic start, the build and tension to the chorus, then it's kick out the jam time...'Junkhead is another powerhouse performance from the band.
'Godsmack' is a true classic standing above the rest of the album due to its more uptempo beat, almost funky vibe. The opening 2 tracks 'Them Bones' and 'Dam That River' are possibly the best openers of any album, period!
Let me know if you know better.
In 2002 when Layne died of a fatal speedball (a cocktail of heroin and cocaine), music lost one of it's most unique and talented vocalists for a generation.
I had my reservations when it was announced in 2006 that Alice In Chains were reforming - how could it work without Layne? All credit to the band and new vocalist William DuVall, they made an outstanding comeback album in 'Black Gives Way To Blue'.

Why I ♥ This Album


My Alice In Chains 'Live' Experience
March 1991, I had a car full of people on our way from Andover to Basingstoke to catch a train to Hammersmith London. We were going to watch a triple bill of newcomers Alice In Chains, UK upstarts The Almighty and headliners Megadeth.
We had just got onto the A303 road and the temperature gauge of my car was going through the roof. I couldn't understand why, admittedly the car was old, but had been in very good working order. I even checked oil and water before we left.
So we pulled up at the Buck Services about 3 miles outside of Andover. Myself and my friend Ben Holmes got out of the car to inspect what was happening, we popped the bonnet and saw what the problem was. The rag that I had used to wipe clean the oil from the engine dipstick had been left on top of the engine and had now
worked its way to the fanbelt and starting-motor!!.
Ben had got under the car to try and pull the rag out but to no avail. None of us were very mechanically minded.
Back then I didn't really believe in fate but wow something happened. A van pulled into the garage and I couldn't believe who I saw getting out - 'Dennis Olliphant'!
Den lived 2 doors away from my family when we lived in Basingstoke. He was a great friend to both my mum and step-dad but we hadn't seen him in about 8 years.
So here was a handy-man/mechanic (did I not mention that?) in this petrol station. I just hoped he recognised me after all these years. I was 11 years old last time he saw me, now I was 19, skinny with longish hair and ripped jeans etc..
With a sigh of relief he did! It took a few minutes for him to dismantle the starting motor and fan belt and we were ready to rock n roll!
We were now running about 40 minutes late, but still plenty of time. So we were about to set off when Ben realised he didn't have his ticket for the gig.
He had placed it in his back pocket and it must have fallen out whilst he was under the car. We looked all over the garage forecourt but no one could find it.
I offered Ben my ticket instead as it was my fault the rag had caught up in the engine, but Ben, being the generous person he was, said no. It was with a very heavy heart we had to drive Ben back to Andover and begin our journey again.
We arrived in Hammersmith obviously a little late. I rushed into the Odeon just in time to catch Alice In Chains perform the last song of their set 'Man In A Box'.
It sounded great.
That is my Alice In Chains 'live' experience.
Big thank you to Den Olliphant for being there and no thanks to the rag!

After posting this on the evening of the 8th, the following morning I found out that bass player Mike Starr had died, RIP and thanks for the memories.

Mike Starr RIP


No comments:

Post a Comment