Pages

Tuesday 1 March 2011

Cream - Disraeli Gears

No.9 takes us back to 1967

 











Cream - Disraeli Gears
This is the ultimate 1960's psychedelic album for the ultimate 60's power trio. 'Disraeli Gears' was the second release from the supergroup, Cream.
The spine of the group was ex-Yardbird guitarist Eric Clapton and drummer Ginger Baker, the trio is completed
by Jack Bruce on Bass. Cream's first album was very blues based but with this disc they experimented with a more psychedelic sound due to the invention of the wah wah pedal as well as other forward moves in music technology.
The album opens with the 2 most famous tracks, 'Strange Brew' (was this about strange hallucegenics being placed in a teapot??) and the classic 'Sunshine of your love'.
'Sunshine Of Your Love' riff is so well known it came as a surprise to me that the song was wriiten by bassist Jack Bruce. However the lyrics were a collabaration between Bruce, Clapton & poet Pete Brown.
Pete was, I believe to be the unsung hero of Cream, and he wrote many of their lyrics on their albums but
remained under the radar when the accolades came around.
Track 3 is 'World Of Pain. I particularly like the interplay of the twin vocals of Clapton and Bruce, a great light and shade that gave Cream a uniqueness and diversity. A trick later used to good affect by Alice In Chains.
'Dance The Night Away' floats along nicely.
Cream like the Beatles gave each member of the band,a singing chance, hence the Ringo-like track 'Blue Condition' sung by drummer Ginger Baker. No one can doubt what a legend Ginger Baker is as a drummer, Singing however was not his strong point.
'Tales Of Brave Ulysses' is my favourite track on the album, lyrically, obviouslly about Homer's Odyssey. As a fan of myths and legends I connected so much to this track.
Clapton went bluesy on the following song 'SWLABR' which also in my opinion was Jack Bruce's best vocal on the album.
On Disraeli Gears as with many 60's albums, the band covered other artist's songs. The first being a solid Clapton arrangement of Blind Jo Reynolds blues standard 'Outside Woman Blues' and also the closing track 'Mothers Lament' a sort of drunken piano sing-along. Very Derek & Clive.
A great album that really has stood the test of time and one that Clapton has never matched in his illustrious recording career.
1968 version of Sunshine Of Your Love

Why ♥ Love This Album
In 1990 music was a big part of my life. My friend Des had told me about a local band in Andover (where I lived at the time) called 'The Sleeping Policemen'. He even gave me a tape of a live recording of them. I remember playing the tape and hearing a rough and raw version of the Judas Priest classic 'Living After Midnight'.I was quite impressed.
Well a little while after this I was asked to audition to sing for Durins Bane (basically the new version of the policemen). I felt a sense of pride at this, people knew how much I loved music and was very passionate about it and I felt this was a great reward for all my knowledge. I had one big hurdle though I had never sang before. Grasping for advice, Chris Holt stated that leading up to the audition I should hum all the time to warm and strengthen my vocal cords. People must have thought I was mad as all I did was hum at them.
For the audition I had to learn a couple of rock standards, one of which was 'Sunshine Of Your Love', and vocally not a great stretch to sing.
 I met the band in the Lardicake pub the night before. Stuart on drums, Mike on bass and Graham on guitar - great guys and as I found out far superior musicians compared to my singing than I expected. The audition was at the Church on Smannell Road in Andover. Well to cut a long story short I was in!!!! yay!!!. Later I found out, that I was the only person they asked to audition and I got the gig due to owning a car. Graham needed transport for his Marshall stack to rehearsals and gigs as he didn't drive at the time.
No matter I was on a high, I am now a rock n roll singer in a real band. Bring on the sex, drugs and rock n roll (well 3 out of 3 was a good score)! We would rehearse every sunday and then retire to the pub to discuss world domination.

My first gig with the band was at the Coronation Arms in St Mary Bourne to a converted crowd of drinking buddies and friends. I sang only a few songs, mainly the originals that the band had written. However I felt we had gone down a storm.
I do have to say the adulation didn't last long. A couple more gigs and I was asked to leave, I had been found out! As many of the people that know me also know I cannot sing for toffee.
My wife is always surprised that I sang in a band... "really?" she asks.
I couldn't believe they decided to get a proper singer in, it was like sacking David Lee Roth and bring in Ronnie James Dio.
As it turned out my replacement Dave became one of my best buds and was a sound bloke.
The band recorded a great demo called 'Mr Good Friday'and they should have powered on to greater things, but alas they will also be known as the biggest cult band in Andover
Cheers to the man in the corner.
Check them out http://www.reverbnation.com/durinsbane#!

No comments:

Post a Comment